Bere Alston School Council
At Bere Alston Primary School we promote the idea of being a listening school where children’s views are valued. Each class elects 2 representatives to form the School Council, which meets on the last Wednesday of every month. Regular circle times and class discussions provide opportunities for the children to raise concerns and put forward suggestions as to how certain aspects of school life can be managed or improved. Additionally, the children are able to submit suggestions via a class School Council ‘post box’ which is checked prior to each meeting.
We want our School Council to give us opportunities to:
- Be involved in making the decisions to improve school life for everyone.
- Work more closely with staff in developing a caring school community.
- Be able to voice the opinions of people in our class.
- To raise money for local charities.
Important School Council Information
- The School Council will be made up of 2 representatives per class in Year 1 to Year 6.
- Their fellow class members will have elected these representatives.
- The School Council will meet on the last Wednesday of every month.
- The meetings will be held in the staffroom/music room.
- Mrs Abbott will be the link teacher.
- All information regarding School Council will be displayed on the School Council boards.
The link teacher will support the elected Secretary in taking the minutes of the Council meetings. These will be distributed to each class to make sure everyone knows about the activities of the Council.
A copy of the minutes will also be displayed on our School Council display board.
Responsibilities of Pupil Councillors
- Class representatives will report back to their class after every school council meeting.
- Class representatives will take issues brought up by their class to the School Council. They will put across the views of their class, not their own opinions.
- If a councillor wants to talk at a meeting they must put up their hand.
- School Councillors will ensure they read the Council notice board regularly
Responsibilities of Teachers
- Teachers will make sure that all classes have a circle time. This is when minutes from the last meeting are shared and new matters discussed by the class.